Monday, August 28, 2006

Drop at the door or walk in?

For almost 9 years, I've walked Em in the door at daycare and took her to her class. Of course most of that was because she was really too small to do it herself. And then as she got older, the tradition just stuck. Now since she doesn't go to daycare in the morning, I decided we need a new tradition. She goes to the elementary gym in the morning before school. She can go in as long as there are lights on in the entry way. Some mornings we get there too early and some mornings right on time. The first week or so, I walked her in so she could get a feel for it and I would know what was going on during that time. But last Friday I kinda pulled up at the curb and pushed her out. Not really, but I was late and needed to get to work. She needed to get in the gym and re-read her AR book. But this wasn't something new for her. I had fussed and lectured her about it last Thursday and Friday. How she was old enough to walk in the door herself, no body elses' parent brings them in, how I've been doing it for 9 years, blah, blah, blah. This morning she knew better than to say anything when I pulled up to the door and told her I loved her, gave her a kiss and told her to behave. She did it and she looked so big doing it. Getting out, acting like she was embrassed that I was telling her what to do. It didn't bother me till just now. I want her to be independant and walk in by herself, but that means she needs me less and less. That makes me want to cry! She's growing up so fast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy! It's Tammy, here in N'ville! I'm so glad I found your blog! Those photos of dd in the water....incredible! I so would LOVE to go to the thingy in Sept. but $$ just not available. I hope it all goes well for you! Would LOVE to take your class! I'm sure it will go well! I'm so jealous! I'll stop by here frequently, now that I know you're here! Found you through Rebecca's blog...she is my scrapbook heroine! Blessings!