Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Anyone have advice on potty training a dog?

Okay, we've had this puppy since she was 4 months old. The previous owners were paper training her. I don't really have a good place for that, so we started outside training her when we got her. We'll, we've had her a year and she's still not completely trained. She stays in a crate during the day when we are all gone and goes out as soon as we get there. It does get a little sketchy while we are home. She goes out a couple times while we are home (sometimes more) depending on what everyone is doing. I try and keep my eye on her and if she seems to be wanting to go out or sniffing around, I'll take her out. Last night she was out of water and when I gave her some, she drank, drank and drank. But I had just taken her out when I discovered the water bowl was dry. I took her out before we went to bed and nothing, she did nothing. I guess sometime during the night (or early morning) she got up and needed to tinkle and did in DH's room (its the extra bedroom that he uses for his clothes and junk!) Of course, I called him on his way in to work and he was livid, tell me I've got to MAKE her go. Tell me, how to I MAKE a dog go potty?!?!?!?!? I pretty much said it wasn't entirely my responsbility. He could have taken her out this morning when he was up at 4:30 with his bug bitten legs putting more medicine on them. I've gotten up at 3:30 before just to let the dog out because she was restless. I'm not sure what else to do other than take her out EVERY 2 hours. But I know she won't go everytime we go out. Who would? What are we doing wrong?


By the way, listen what else happened last night. I woke up sometime during the night with my finger killing me. It felt swollen. I punched DH and told him (which he didn't respond), got up, wet my finger either with water or my own spit and took them off. But, for the life of me I can't remember where I took them off and put them. I'm hoping in my jewerly box because I have a faint memory of reaching over the dresser last night and feeling for the box, but it could have all been a dream! Who knows ...... I just know I don't have my rings on.

AND, DD has pink eye! She woke up yesterday morning with both eyes red and yucky. I took her to the doctor and she said he looked like pink eye. We also taked about the Ritlan (this is a blog in itself, but I hate the fact that I have to give her this medicne, but she can consentrate so much better when she is taking it!) and we talked about her tonsils, which are HUGE! She told me she'd refer me to a ENT if I thought she needed it. DD snores pretty loudly and even shows early signs of sleep apena (spell?).

Gotta run and work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you take the dog out, do you tell her it's potty time? If she does go, praise her and give her a treat. If so doesn't go, then no treat. Always use the same lanuage for potty training. It worked for us.

I lost my birthstone ring the last time Jim was in the hospital. I took it off because my hands were swollen. tbcrops