Monday, January 19, 2009

Why does it seem when it rains it pours .......

If you'll remember, DH and I are TERRIBLE at saving money. As soon as we get a little extra, we spend it on things we want (not need!) I tend to buy clothes for me or Em and Steve tends to spend his savings on hunting stuff. He really is better than me, cause he does save. I'm always buying stuff during the week that cuts down on the savings. So my silent vow to myself is to keep a certain amount of money in my savings account here at work (we have several accounts ... my account at the credit union is the main one though - I have an account at Suntrust for Em's school stuff and Steve has account at Regions for his work money and business account) Don't ask, it just works for us. Anyways, I had maintained the "certain" amount for several months and at the end of Dec, that amount had increased tremendously. So, I increased my silent vow ..... something I should have never done. First, contacts ... $230 unbudged or expected expense. That cut into my amount, but its okay, I'll keep it at the first "certain" amount. THEN last week, $338 for gas .. another unbudgeted or expected expense. Now, top that all off with, I have $600 a month I'm paying tuition and another CRAZY $$330 for the NES bill (that's the electic bill for those out of state). So, my first and second vow has been blown to hades to put it nicely. I love that we have the cash for these little unbudget expenses, but I hate that I'm let myself down with the vow I made. I will eventually get the amount back up, but it will take time and I hate that.......

On to more "fun" things! I cooked all day yesterday. I decided that since I hate the question of "what's for dinner" and DH asks just to bug the heck out of me, I'm going to cook some stuff that we can use for supper all week (trying to save money for the savings account). So I went to Walmart yesterday with my handy list and bought stuff for 4 meals. And two of those meals I divided for 2 extra days. So we have in the freezer, Potato Soup, Chicken & Dressing, Chicken & Dumplings, Parmeasen Chicken & Penne, and 1/2 of a Pork Loin. WOW!!!!! I'm excited to just be able to pull stuff out of the freezer in the morning to thaw and have it ready that night to heat.

Gott run and do a little work .... it's snowing here and it's really hard not to stare out the window and hope for inches .... it'll just be a dusting (or so they say!)

Later tater!

No comments: