Thursday, November 17, 2005

It's over!!!!

The craft fair is over. The jury's still out as to if it was successful or not. I mean, I didn't make a ton of money, actually I *almost* broke even, but are people more familiar with the different types of scrapbooks? Will they think of me the next time they need something "cute" to give as a gift? I sold one girl 3 paper bag albums and 2 accordians. Then I had one lady buy one then come back after lunch and buy another. I did sell my receipe box to a cute girl that's getting married soon. She actually called me Tuesday night at home to inquire about the other albums. She and her mother have friends that are having babies, so they were thinking about presents.

What's hard is that some people look at my albums and can't believe that they cost $27.00. They don't understand that its probably got $12.00 worth of materials and 4 to 5 hours of my time in it. If you pay me by the hour to make it, it'd cost $100!!!! They just don't get it! But I know its like that with everything ... from beauty salons to artist ....

What did we learn? (I ask my mom as we were packing up). Know your audience, which is near impossible. I could have sold 10 "friends" albums easy, but I figured more of the "brag" book type for grandmoms would sell. And don't bring your own money, other than for food. We bought two purses .... a quick $50.00 down the drain - but they are super cute!!!

I'll post pictures soon. I've got to do a little tweaking with them!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Are you glad you did it? Will you do it again, using what you learned?

When my dad first started his furniture making business many years ago, he started by attending flea markets and craft shows. It was always hot or miss...and impossible to anticipate but it did serve a business generator for a long time.

TracieClaiborne said...

I know you're glad it's over! I'm glad you sold your stuff. People definitely don't understand the time and effort that goes into a scrapbook project. That's why I never give any of mine away. ha!