Tuesday, April 08, 2008

MY TURKEY!!!!!

So this past Saturday (April 5) I went turkey hunting again with DH. There was four of us hunting, me being the only woman. We got up at 4:30 am (crazy, I know, but you gotta beat those turkey up you know) and was in the woods by 6:30. Steve and our friend James called, Mike and I (the turkey killing virgins - meaning we hadn't killed yet) were just waiting for the birds to show up. The turkey were all around us when they flew off roost, but as soon as they hit the ground, they were quite. We had two hens come upon us, but scampered off. Then we had two Jakes' (adolescent male turkeys) but they came up so quitely that we almost didn't see them till it was too late. I didn't even have my gun up and ready because my fingers had gotten so cold waiting. I finally got my gun up shot ..... WOW ..... I killed my first turkey!!! I was SOOOO excited. I laid the gun down, jumped up saying, "I killed a turkey", "I killed a turkey". I couldn't believe it. It was AWESOME! I'm totally hooked. We left my turkey where I killed it and went off to another spot to try and get Mike a bird. It didn't happen for him Saturday, but it got a HUGE bird Sunday. My bird was a Jake with about a 3 inc beard, nubby spurs and weighed between 16 - 18 lbs. DH says now I can "trophy" hunt. Meaning I got the first kill out of the way now I can get down to business and get a good turkey. My first turkey fan is getting mounted and added to the wall of fame in the basement.




Here are a couple of pictures:


2 comments:

*Heather said...

That is so cool Christy!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

You go girl! How neat to have shared that moment with your hubby! tbcrops