Tuesday, April 06, 2010

OPENING DAY TURKEY

This is the first year (out of 3) that I've actually killed on opening day ... what a great feeling! AND, it was with a BOW! WOW ... been trying to do that for two years. I started shooting again (after my wrist surgery) a week ago and bam! I got a turkey! Woo-Hoo!!!! Here are some pictures!

He weighed 24.6 lbs, 10.5 inch beard and his spurs were 7/8 (a little over). He's probably a two year old bird and one of the 3 Amigo's we've been watching for a couple of years!











The long boring story: we sat almost all day Saturday. From 10:30 - 4:00 before a group of Toms, Jakes and Hens made their way to our ridge. This Tom spotted our decoy and made a beeline for it. Steve was taping with the video camera and was trying to make sure we were on the same bird. When he saw this one come he, he was like this is your bird. So as the turkey is FACING me in the blind, I draw back, but I guess he was so intent on the decoy he never noticed me. Drawing back sitting is hard, let me tell you.... takes all upper body strength and when you're trying to do it without being noticed and quickly .. more pressure! So I get pulled back, waiting for him to take a step out from behind the decoy and I let the arrow fly. I hit him a bit far back, but I knew I had hit him. He ran off, down the hill. Not just a hill ... a mountain and ended up dying in the creek. WOW! Lucky for us, Neighbor Mike hiked back up the mountain with him for me, I'd never had made it!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: