Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So do you want to hear the ktichen story?

Our house is 18 yrs old. My grandparents built it. Nothing fancy, about 1200 sq feet, open floor plan, full basement, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths. If I had built the house, I might have picked the same floor plan and if I would have picked it, I would have bumped up the sq ft for larger rooms, probably adding about 500 sq ft to the total design. I'd love to have a larger master bedroom/bath and a seperate laundry area, since it's at the end of my kitchen.


So, the story. We were kinda ashamed of our house. We invited very few people over. Emilee had just a few friends that I'd allow to come over because our house was kinda yuck. Not dirty yuck, just worn out yuck. Since my grandparents paid cash for it, they went with very builder quality stuff and probably really didn't think anything about it. They knew they wouldn't be in it forever. The carpet was a great color but the quality wasn't there and after 18 yrs it needed to replaced BAD. The linolum in the dining room/kitchen was okay, but kinda blah. My cabinets were the only thing that I though were of any quality and having a closet pantry allowed me to use all my cabinets to store dishes, cookare, etc. We finally decided we need to update our "common" living areas of the house. Either that or buy another house. Remodeling was a lot cheaper!!!


It wasn't any easy project and it was a tad bit stressful. DH was great and did what he could himself. We ended up paying for all the tile work and hardwood work that we did in the dining room/living room since our deadline was Thanksgiving. Needless to say, we met a Christmas deadline!!!


Here's BEFORE pictures. The next post as AFTER pictures!


No comments: